About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, daughter, friend, reader, wanna-be chef, interior designer who always has a project in mind, music lover, dish & silverware collecter, and runner. Plus a lot of other things, but I don't want to brag :)

2.05.2009

Grandma Melba Jolley

My Grandma Jolley called me Addie Poo. I'm not sure why she did and I now I wonder why I never asked her about it. Nonetheless, it was awkward that it was my nickname and despite those that think it is a cool name I didn't like it. Grandma unexpectedly passed away this January. Now I miss being called Addie Poo because I miss my Grandma. There are noble and great ones in our life that teach us and inspire us to be better people and plant in us a desire to be a good example to others. My Grandma was one of those people.

This is the first post that I have ever written. Cara is the creative one in our relationship but I wanted to take a minute and express some of my memories about Grandma.

I remember walking to her house when I was little and playing with her dog, Toby.
I remember her letting me sleep in her bed with the down comforter and she would sing "My Grandfather's Clock."
She was a wonderful cook and she introduced me to delicious dishes such as breakfast cake and steak pie.
She loved to work in her yard and even though she would say it was a disaster I know she was proud of the beautiful flowers and the placement of all the rocks she would have Grandpa move around.
She would send me $2 bills on each birthday because they were special just like us grand kids.
I remember trips with Grandma and Grandpa to Fruitland, Idaho to visit the Martarano's and the cousins.
I remember trips to The BlueBird Cafe in Logan
We both loved to eat the Fat Boy vanilla ice-cream bars that are dipped in chocolate and nuts. Grandma had a testimony of the gospel and I loved to hear her tell about her Temple experiences.
I remember in church she would rub lotion on my hands. During sacrament Grandpa would doze off to sleep but Grandma would nudge him and in a voice too loud for sacrament would say,"WHAT?!!"
She knew all the family members and what was going on in their lives. She cared and prayed for each of us.
I miss eating polish hot dogs with her.
I enjoyed hearing her dreams about her "cabin" at the land.
Grandma was someone I could talk to and laugh with.
I wish I could have her back but thankfully I am not in charge because I know she is having a great time with Grandpa once again.
Love you, Grandma.
--adam

2 comments:

Denece said...

Amen! Grandma always called me Niecy. I'm going to miss that! I don't think there was anything she couldn't do! How lucky we are to have been able to have her in our lives!

Cody and Haylee said...

Adam, that was so sweet. I am so sorry that you miss her but now she can be with you always. We love you guys!